Winners and finalists
Through MED’INNOVANT, Euroméditerranée offers innovators the chance to test their solutions on an experimental area in the heart of France's second largest city!
For Euroméditerranée, innovation has always been a “marker”, thanks to its experimentation work in thalasso-thermal loops, developing a platform for processing and recycling polluted soils and producing the functional mixed city of today by imagining the hybrid city of the future.
Since 2010, over 400 project leaders have been put to the test by a panel of experts, and 25 winners have been rewarded for their innovation.
Discover all our winners:
Discover the Med Innovant 2017 finalists.
Discover the Med Innovant 2016 finalists.
This call for applications aims to identify and support project leaders (start-ups, micro-businesses, SMEs) that develop innovations on the theme of the smart, sustainable city.
Organised by Euroméditerranée Urban Development Agency.
What are the themes?
Improving the urban experience using digital tools:
- Digital urban services, mobile applications and other media
- Contactless technology and connected objects
Offering a pleasant and hospitable urban environment:
- Equipment for buildings or personal use that contributes to housing comfort or workplace well-being
- Services or equipment that contribute to the quality of public spaces, living together and the security of people and property
- Social innovation and solidarity mechanisms in the city
Making the city greener and more energy-efficient:
- Design solutions that reduce the city’s
environmental impact (energy, water, waste, space)
- Systems or equipment that facilitate urban management and cost control
What are the selection criteria?
- Identification of the need and the issue to be resolved: applicant’s ability to explain the proposed solution in terms of the identified need
- Impact on the testing ground: the innovation must be able to be implemented within the EcoCité Euroméditerranée
- Robustness of the project / business model: appropriateness of the solution, technical feasibility, commercial maturity, implementation timeframes
- Level of maturity of the innovative solution: > or = TRL 6 (prototype or system model demonstrated in a relevant environment)
- Quality and credibility of the team: ability to lead a project
When is the period for applications?
- The call for applications is open continuously from 8 am on the September 1st to 11:59 pm on September 30 2020 (UTC+1).
- Applicants must apply online, using the dedicated section: APPLY
The documents sent during the competition are subject to the strictest confidentiality and will only be communicated to the selection committee members.
The information will only be used to allow the application of the project leader to be judged.
What are the benefits for winners?
- €40,000 of funding (to be shared between the two winners)
- Contributions in kind and dedicated support:
- Joining an accelerator: Each winner will get three months’ membership of the P.Factory accelerator’s “Académie” programme. Further information: www.pfactory.co
- Legal support: The Fidal legal practice offers each winner six hours of legal support to be used over a period of six months from the award date, under the following terms: Three hours on issues relating to intellectual property law, information technology law or contract law (licensing, sales, distribution, etc.), one hour for company law, one hour for tax law, and one hour for social law. Further information: www.fidal.com
- Promotion of your solution in a showroom: ConnectWave offers each winner (only where a specific prize for contactless technology and connected objects is awarded by the selection committee) a spot/plot in their La Coque showroom (www.lacoque-numerique.fr) for one year, together with the promotion of their application via the CNRFID websites, social media and press releases (worth €3,620 excl. VAT), plus a complete showcasing of their technical solution (worth €1,950 excl. VAT). This contribution in kind is worth a total of €5,570. Further information: www.connectwave.fr
- Mentoring and support for winners from an ad hoc steering committee
- A testing ground to test and demonstrate the innovative solution: EcoCité Euroméditerranée (the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 14th and 15th arrondissements of Marseille).
- Targeted networking with key accounts
- Integration with EMUL (Euroméditerranée Metropolitan Urban Lab), a network of industrial partners working to develop innovative solutions on eight themes linked to the sustainable city
- Visibility (press communications, social media, websites, trade fairs, etc.)
- Free 1-year membership of the Euroméditerranée Cité des Entrepreneurs
All finalists will be offered a week of support to the AFD acceleration program, "Social and Inclusive Business Camp (SIBC)". The "SIBC" allows each year about 60 social entrepreneurs in Africa to accelerate the social impacts of their projects and join a dynamic community.
The Euroméditerranée Urban Development Agency
Innovation at the heart of building a new Marseille
For the past 20 years, the Euroméditerranée Urban Development Agency has been designing, developing and building the sustainable Mediterranean city of the future, right in the heart of the Aix-Marseille-Provence Metropolis. This “scheme of national interest”, State-run in partnership with local authorities, has created over 37 000 private-sector jobs and 6 500 public-sector jobs and led to the establishment of more than 5 300 businesses. The impact of Euroméditerranée extends beyond the international business district and its 650 000m² of offices. Piece by piece, the puzzle is being put together, involving public and private facilities, shops, residential buildings, transport and parking infrastructure, parks and public spaces. The scheme is therefore not yet complete. It is now being continued over 170 hectares to the north of the original 310 hectares, and has entered a new phase. Labelled “EcoCité”, this new area is intended as a testing ground for urban planning, in which innovative services and technologies for smart, sustainable cities are tested, deployed and developed.
Members of the selection committee
Hugues Parant, Chief Executive, Euroméditerranée
Michel DANIEL, Director, Property and Heritage - Saint Gobain Distribution Bâtiment France
Hervé GATINEAU, Director, Major Urban Projects - Eiffage
Ludovic PARISOT, Regional Director Provence-Alpes-Côte d’Azur, Monaco & Corsica - ENGIE
Martine FRANCOIS, Director, Major Urban Projects - Linkcity - Les Fabriques - Groupe Bouygues Immobilier
Anthony SERRA, Director, PACA Agency - Marignan
Sandra CHALINET, Chief Executive - La Cité des Entrepreneurs d'Euroméditerranée
Yann GOZLAN, Business and Innovation Officer - CIC Lyonnaise de Banque
Rémy LAGARRIGUE, Asset Developer Innovation / Training, Complex Projects & Property - REDMAN
Philippe DE MATTEIS, Diector - ConnectWave
Patrick SIRI, Co-founder & Chairman - P.Factory
Cyril CHAUVIN, Intellectual Property / IT & Technology, Regional Directorate Mediterranean, - Fidal Société d’avocats
Patrick ZIMBARDO, Innovation Expert - CCIMP
Why support the competition?
Develop your business network and share your expertise in the sphere of the sustainable Mediterranean city!
Help us launch the future economic talents of EcoCité Euroméditerranée, “the laboratory of the sustainable Mediterranean city”!
Bring dynamism to the city: The development of open innovation and urban entrepreneurship projects is a priority which we share with our industrial partners.
Euroméditerranée has a great many assets: it is, first and foremost, “a unique testing ground for urban innovation in France, for testing market approaches; it is also a business network, where economic and institutional partners represent a host of business opportunities for your organisation.”
With Med’Innovant, the competition for innovative solutions, Euroméditerranée is keen to assert its leadership and specificity in the sphere of sustainable urban planning in the Mediterranean, by teaming up with key partners to increase the visibility and flow of projects.
Join us and get involved at grassroots level with the innovators of tomorrow!
Engie puts sustainable growth at the heart of its business areas (electricity, natural gas and energy services), in order to rise to the key challenges of the energy transition towards a low-carbon economy: access to sustainable energy, climate-change mitigation and adaptation, and responsible resource use.
Saint-Gobain Distribution Bâtiment France, part of Saint-Gobain’s Building Distribution branch, is today the leading distributor of construction materials in France, supplying the construction and home improvement sectors.
“Let’s build in a changing world”
Local presence, responsiveness and competence make CIC the bank for professionals, businesses and their owners, with an ongoing desire to adapt its solutions in line with the priorities of its customers, a capacity for innovation, and expertise from its training centres.
Convinced that innovation is the key to companies being competitive in an ever more competitive world, the Aix-Marseille Provence Chamber of Commerce endeavours, on a daily basis, to help them booster their innovation potential and to seize business opportunities from innovative structural projects for the region.
Founded in 2008, the RFID National Reference Centre promotes the deployment of RFID and IoT technologies.
In 2015, the CNFRID launched Connectwave®, an immersive space dedicated to Professional Connected Objects. The Aix-Marseille French Tech innovation hub is due to open in Marseille in autumn 2017.
- Sébastien SARNYAI
The Fidal legal practice has put in place an offering of legal and tax services dedicated to the boldest, most talented start-ups, giving them the opportunity to take advantage of its expertise in the field of intellectual property strategy as well as comprehensive legal and tax expertise, particularly with regard to investment capital.
Founded ten years ago, Redman is an economic actor specialising in complex property transactions. In practice, it is the combination of an independent organisation with multidisciplinary competences that enables it to innovate to resolve the complexities of a project.
An agile and committed property developer with an ear to the ground and to its customers, Marignan brings dynamism to living spaces and reinvents the French urban landscape every day.
They have chosen to support us!
Contact, Gallery & Press
Euroméditerranée Urban Development Agency
Dominique Brunet Marketing, Economic Communication and Employment Project Manager
Tel.: +33(0) 491 144 504
Press packs and releases since 2016:
- Bilan de l'édition Med'Innovant 2019
- Communiqué de presse Med'Innovant 2019
- Bilan de l'édition Med'Innovant 2018
- Communiqué de presse Med'Innovant 2018
- Communiqué de presse Med'innovant Sept 2018
- Mode d'emploi Med'Innovant
- Dossier de presse Med'Innovant 2017
- Communiqué de presse Med'Innovant 2017
- Communiqué de presse : appel à candidature 2017
- Communiqué de presse Med’Innovant 2016 (post évènement)
- Dossier de presse Med'Innovant 2016 (résultats)
- Revue de presse Med'Innovant.2016
- Communiqué de presse Med’Innovant 2016
Vidéo de l'édition 2018
2016 Video playlist
Who can apply?
Start-ups, micro-businesses and SMEs based in France or overseas that have an innovative response to a need in the sphere of the sustainable Mediterranean city
The call for applications is open continuously from 8 am on September 1st to 11:59 pm on 30 September 2020 (UTC+1).
1 SEP 2020: Launch of call for applications at 8 am UTC+1.
30 SEP 2020: Close of call for applications at 11:59 pm UTC+1.
Submission of applications using the online form.
1 OCT 2020 (2 pm to 5 pm): Longlisting of 25-30 applications by the technical committee*. This initial assessment will be made to identify whether the project is in line with the competition requirements. If so, additional information (including a CV and a detailed presentation of the solution) may be requested to complete the project leader’s application.
16 NOV 2020 (9 am to 12 pm): Shortlisting of 8-15 applications by a selection committee comprised of the technical committee and official partners**. Affiliated partners will also be invited to this session; they will not be entitled to vote, but where appropriate their expertise may help to settle the voting of applications: (Link to Selection committee / Affiliated partners sections)
26 NOV 2020:
2 pm to 6 pm: Interviewing of shortlisted applicants by the technical committee
6 pm to 10 pm: Awarding of prizes to the winners at an award ceremony in Marseille (public event).
* Composition of the technical committee: representatives of Euroméditerranée, La Cité des Entrepreneurs d’Euroméditerranée, PFactory and Marseille Provence Chamber of Commerce and Industry.